Friday, July 31, 2009

Why is there no time to sew?

I checked my Stitchers' Guild profile earlier to see when I had posted last. Apparently it was the summer of 2007. At the time I was very excited to participate in the SWAP, especially since my DH had just started on the first of what would be 2 year-long Army Reserve activations with assorted deployments. It seemed to make sense, he would be away and I would have more time to sew. It was a great theory. I ended up using all of the "extra" time to start working on my next degree. Homework cuts into sewing time. I am sure to remember that statement next month, when I start school again, after having taken a year off for his second deployment (my work schedule had changed and I was no longer able to pull it all off in the time left to me).

For now, for this month at least though, he's back home and on vacation and I don't have homework yet. The garden is already a mess, so it can wait a few weeks longer to be cleared up. My plan is to move into to my new sewing space over my upcoming weekend. I moved a few stacks of fabric and some books last Tuesday, just to get an idea and have something to inspire me. Most of the fabric will need to be refolded over time for the doors of the cabinets to close completely, but that can wait.

For now, I just want to make the space workable. I want to pull 4 garments worth of fabric, notions and patterns out of my stash, which should be easy, since I was all set for the SWAP and a few additional projects. In other words, I should be able to do the WiaW, as well as a few more projects after that without having to set foot into a store. Hmm, now that I think about it, that does not sounds all that attractive, lol. Seriously, though, my goal is to do 4 garments from scratch for the WiaW, after that I really need to sort out the UFO situation. Most of them are between 80-95 percent done, they all still fit, as far as I know, there are no major issues, just some fiddly bits to be completed, and all of the items are great fall/winter good-for-work items, so it's time to get them off the board.

I hope that being able to access my machines without first having to set them up, having access to supplies, iron and board, as well as my cutting table and having a door to hide it all behind during the week, will enable me to "pop in" and work on things 15 minutes at a time. This may all come to a screeching halt once school starts up again, but I hope that the short term intensity of the WiaW will help prime my sewing mojo again.

In the mean time, I am looking forward to a weekend sorting, moving, upacking and repacking. I will get to move my fabrics around which always kicks off ideas, I will sort through patterns and pull out some candidates for the WiaW and I will find out where I am with the UFOs that I know are packed up in several bags throughout. I almost can't wait until Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment